Forum Index
The Brough Superior Club Technical Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broughs & T.E. Lawrence

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Richards

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Broughs & T.E. Lawrence Reply with quote

One of my other interests apart from Broughs is T.E. Lawrence. One can get a copy of all his letters to George Brough from the Owners Club in hard copy & it also includes the specs of his machines.

Not sure of the copyright position bust wonder if it were possible to post these on the website?

See also the T.E. Lawrence Society for more information
http://www.telsociety.org/
Dave Richards

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: It's already online Reply with quote

Think I must be losing the plot - the letters and other TEL motorcycle writings are on http://www.dropbears.com/m/models/brough/index.htm
bruffsup@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Lawrence Reply with quote

I have recently had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman from Ottawa Ontario, a Mr. Bob Morris who co -authored an interesting book on the making of the 1962 movie Lawrence of Arabia. He spotted my ss100 at a local steam show 2 years ago. He has too many interesting stories to relay here so I will see if I can get him to write up something for the club newsletter. Just to whet your appetites, did any of you know that the rookie reporter who was sent to France to cover the dirigible crash that Lawrence had refused to go on ( heading for India and slated to map 'the empty quarter") was David Lean!
einberlinner@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: movie question. Reply with quote

I know that T.E. Lawrence was killed due to injuries suffered while riding his Brough Superior.

My question is: Was the bike in the opening scene of "Lawrence of Arabia" a Brough Superior?

If not, does anyone know what is the make/model of that bike? I haven't seen the movie in a few years, so I can't remember exactly what it looks like, and have yet to find any reference to the bike in movie forums.

Regards,
Patrick Murphy
D Richards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Lawrence's Brough in the Film Reply with quote

It was indeed a Brough and the correct model i.e. SS00 JAP Engine, However they got the numberplate wrong which was I think from his new Brough he never took delivery of and should have been GW2275[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: "Brough" used in "Lawrence of Arabia" fi Reply with quote

Beg pardon, but I was under the impression that it was a Coventry Eagle or some other, inferior, make of JAP-engined 1000 V-Twin. I'm sure I read a piece by Jeff Clew or Bob Currie on the subject, saying that the machine was as fake as the scenery in which the crash sequence was filmed.

Any ideas, anyone?

Jeremy Churchill
bobss80

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike used in the film was an SS100 Brough Superior.
The registration used in the film was UL656, which was a Lawrence Brough, but not the one on which he had his fatal accident, which was GW2275. Some years ago, the bike used in the film was at Comerfords in London, still with the false numbers on paper over the numberplates! The exhaust pipes used in the film are definitely wrong!
The real GW2275 is on display at Beaulieu at the National Motor Museum.
Cheers!
Bob Withers
Al Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bonus points in this quiz about the Brough in the film "Lawrence of Arabia", can anyone name the two other makes of motorcycle which appear in that film?

Al Johnson in Canada
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: